This is a firm family favourite, hubby approved and kid approved, and so easy to make. There are very few ingredients and it is great for allergy kids as it is dairy free, nut free, gluten free and egg free. I would serve from 9 months, finely chopping the chicken and using low salt stock, although if baby led weaning you can serve earlier.
Easy and Dairy Free Chicken Casserole
- 12 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour of choice
- 400ml chicken stock (low salt if under 12 months)
- ~2 cups quartered button mushrooms (or more if you are big on mushrooms)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Good palmful of fresh chopped tarragon
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder mixed with a little cold water (can use cornflour)
- If you have a bit of time sauté the onion in a pan over a medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes then stir in the garlic and flour for a further minute before putting into the slow cooker. If not, just put this straight into the slow cooker raw. Add the chicken thighs to the slow cooker too.
- Stir so chicken and onion are coated with a little flour then add the stock, mushrooms and coconut milk. Cook on high for approximately 2 hours.
- Stir and add the tarragon, seasoning and arrowroot and water mix for thickening. Cook for a further 45 minutes. Adjust these timings to suit your slow cooker and make sure the chicken is cooked through before serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green veg (we make our mash with coconut oil / coconut milk to keep it dairy free but go butter if that floats your boat)